Our recent kitten birthday party has still got us swooning, which inspired this craft idea for open play. We love that you can turn a bag into any animal puppet you want, but this cat puppet craft is too cute!
Supplies you’ll need for this cat puppet craft:
Construction Paper (two colors if possible)
Crayons or Markers
Hole Punch (optional)
Other Decorative Items (optional)
- If you have younger children like most of our Open Play age demographic you can start by cutting triangles (for ears) and thin rectangles (for whiskers) out of the construction paper. We also used a hole punch to make a circular nose, but you can cut out noses just the same. If you have older kids you can make this activity last a bit longer by having them cut out their own ears and whiskers.
- Have the kids glue their ears, nose and whiskers on to the bag.
- They can draw eyes and a mouth with crayons.
- Once they have finished you can have them decorate the body with their crayons.
- To make it more fun, you can provide stickers, gems and other fun items such as glitter glue (kids can’t get enough of it).
Once the cat puppet is assembled and dry, the kids can stick their hand in it and enjoy. Extend this activity out by finding a cat related book and incorporate the puppet into story time.